I have a weakness for cinnamon rolls, but don’t have the time or stamina to make them from scratch. It is still one of my fantasies to wake up one morning, inspired, energized, and ready to fill the house with the scent of rising cinnamon rolls made from beginning to end by my very own hands.
Earlier this week I figured out a quick and easy way to make dairy-free cinnamon rolls using Pillsbury Place and Bake Crescent Rounds and some cinnamon sugar, and then topping it off with my Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese Frosting. We can’t have the traditional Pillsbury cinnamon rolls because of the dairy, but I think this version tastes better anyway.
Mama Sophia’s Lazy Person’s Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
1 roll of Pillsbury Place and Bake Crescent Rolls
Mama Sophia’s Better Than Cream Cheese Frosting
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Make cinnamon sugar (if you don’t already have some lying around): Mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 2 tbs. ground cinnamon. (Don’t plan on using the whole thing for this recipe. Keep some extra lying around for next time or other things like cinnamon toast.)
3) Unroll the Pillsbury dough on a sheet of parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet/baking sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar generously on one side of the dough. Tear off each strip along perforation and roll into cinnamon roll shape, or take three strips and braid them, and join ends together like a braided donut for a more unique shape.
4) Bake in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. While buns are baking, prepare Mama Sophia’s Tofutti Better-Than-Cream-Cheese Frosting.
5) After buns are done, spread on cream cheese frosting or put a dollop on the side for dipping. Enjoy while fresh and hot!
Note: You might choose to melt some butter/margarine (about 3 to 4 tablespoons) and coat one side of the strip before sprinkling the cinnamon sugar. I’ve chosen not to in order to reduce some calories—not that it makes that much of a difference.